Friday, April 24, 2009

Oklahoma Land Run

When you are in 3rd Grade here in Oklahoma, you get to participate in the annual Land Run at your school.  At Northern Hills it was a day of square dancing, butter making, dressing up, having a picnic once you stake your claim, etc.  It is a BIG day for everyone involved.  

Madelyn was insistent upon bringing our toy wagon to the Land Run.  I didn't realize it was going to be her groups main wagon.  I asked her if we needed to dress it up but she told me that she would take care of it.  Well, she did.......... with cardstock, tape, and a marker.  She told me when I got there that she felt silly because her wagon was so small and messy compared to everyone else's wagons and that people were teasing her.  I told her to lift her head, smile, and laugh with them.  It really WAS funny and that's okay to laugh at yourself a little.  I told her how she shouldn't get hurt feelings about it at all.  It worked.  We had such a fun time with her little wagon!  

Whew, we won't have to do this for another 2 years!  Maybe then I will remember to really "make" a covered wagon.  Sounds like a good Cub Scout project for Bryan and Andrew!


The little boys were so excited to have a picnic of their own next to Madelyn's picnic.  :)

3 comments:

Photo Crazy! said...

Looks like fun! Cute pics.

Linnea said...

Loved the covered wagons. Now that's traveling in style!

Emily said...

How cute of her to have done that all on her own. I bet the other kids had help so it makes hers even more special in my opinion. Sounds like a fun activity.